Sunday, January 4, 2009

No. 1



Beer: Rogue Double Dead Guy Ale
Date: January 2nd, 2009
Place: Cabin, near Quint, New Hampshire


The first one was tough. Knowing the start has to be the start and that start will start when you start and the start isn’t the trickiest part. But the finish is. Once there is one then there are only 98 more.

But I decided to go for it on the second day of the year. I was with Marianna, Kay, Kelly, Jack, Scott, Sara, Braum, Sara, Dave, Chris and Jessica and we had just made it back from the mountain. We had been up boarding on Attitash mountain and the week before had been quite intense as was the weather for the drive up. We had 6” in Boston and less as we went further north. The mountain was fine but by mid afternoon the snow had given way to faint blue ice sheets the length of the mountain. That’s really how is it back East.

As the ice got icier and the day started to get over itself and the crew was bruised and sore, and the Cotton Bowl was on television 16 miles away, we packed up and drove back to Quint. We might have come back earlier, but I didn’t let people know that my bowl game started two hours before the lifts quit lifting. Figured we could catch the last quarter.

But I wasn’t sure if I wanted to. We were playing Texas Tech who had only lost one game and it was to a great Oklahoma team and they might have been waxing us as we were sliding down the mountain. But the text messages coming to my phone let me know that was not the case and that the best place for me was on the couch with a beer and with some friends and a fire in the place.

That’s how #1 happened. With a victory on the 2nd.

And I spent the remaining two days watching as others had as many beers as they wanted. With a pang of jealousy, but a little bit of excitement


UPDATE:
I keep getting questions about what one beer is. Or what one beer counts for. I’m not about rules. One beer is what comes in one container, despite how small or big that container is. Sure, I could drink a keg and count it as one beer, but that’s not going to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment