Wednesday, February 11, 2009

No. 13

Beer: Sam L. Smith Organic Ale
Date: February 11th, 2009
Place: The House, Somerville, Massachusetts


The last time I didn’t do something for two weeks was years ago.

I think I gave up coffee or beer (theme?) for Lent. No. Chocolate. I gave up desserts for Lent. And it was six years ago. And I was on a plane to New Zealand and I’d forgotten that I had nixed the desserts and starting eating my cake and realized what had happened but figured that Lent wasn’t enforceable over international waters so I kept eating. If there ever were an easy time for God to smite me, it would have been right there. On the far left side of the International Date Line.

The most recent time has been now. It’s been two weeks and two days since I’ve had a beer. I’ve met friends out and cooked a number of times and had happy hours at work and all these times are times where I would love a beer but I’ve had to settle for Scotch or wine or tea. Yes. Last Friday as the masses were reveling in a mixed case of Sam’s seasonal beers I was having English Breakfast.

Now, I’ve had to abstain because in my fervor to spend time with friends and share a brew I’ve spent too many beers – I was really on pace for a 144 year. Which is about 44% too many. I stopped the carnage before it resembled Wall Street. There is no beer bailout program being debated in the chambers.

This is the first time, as well, that I’ve really been aware of my cutting back. It’s hurt a bit. It is tangible. There is less that I can have. There is a beer sitting in my fridge staring at me telling me it’s time and me telling it that it is indeed not time, not yet, and please take this watering our of my mouth. I’ve realized what I’ve come to –although not anywhere near it’s fullest – there is a limit on earth, and the further we back away from that limit through wise decisions the more there will be from everyone.

Abstaining from beer has caused me to buy a low flow showerhead.

There is, however, one grand reason to break my fast this evening. The UNC / Duke game. With Marianna and Kelly and Roy Williams.

If I were more of a man, I’d wait until the end of the game, to make this not an observational beer but a celebratory brew. However, if I did that, based on consumption trends over the last fortnight, I think I might wake up with a headache.

No comments:

Post a Comment