Thursday, March 26, 2009

No. 23


Beer: Gouden Carolus Ambrio
Date: March 25th, 2009

Place: Novare Res Bier Cafe, Portland, ME


Micah is to beer bar what underage college student in a bar is to security guard.

Beer bars scare me.

I say How is the Poperfienden and they say It is a lot like the Whosit with the heart of a Thistledowner and I say That sounds really good, I think I'll have that and so long as they don't ask me what a Whosit is or how a Thistledowner tastes I'm safe but I try to avoid eye contact so I don't have to have that converstion because the other thing about being in a beer bar is that people really really want to talk about beer and they think I so want to talk to someone about the HarpoonStallion and all I can think is that I really want to drink a beer. If I wanted to talk, I'd have phoned my order in.

I always feel like I'm going to get found out.

I love beer, but I've still not figured out beer. I've also never figured out football. I don't care what the defense is reading or what package they are in or if there was a block in the back. I know I know enough to sit down an entire Saturday and watch the hell out of football. But I'm not there to discuss nuance. I'm not at a coaching clinic. I'm at a Saturday in the Fall. With two things I've not figured out. And I don't feel the least bit guilty.

So I ended up at Novare Res in Portland on a cold spring day sharing a beer with Pete who I've really just met recently becuase I know his sister. I thought it would be great to stop on my way back to Boston from an undisclosed location (business related) and talk about not beer but music, design, the complexity of eating olives and how they don't go with Belgian beer. I think we equally avoided talking about beer, even though at some point I went off on a Scotch Whisky tangent which is a third thing I don't know about but like anyways.


No comments:

Post a Comment