Sunday, April 19, 2009

No. 29


Beer: Rogue Dead Guy Ale
Date: April 17th, 2009

Place: The Barking Crab, Boston, MA

Three drinks later, we were having dinner by the channel, looking at the city lights - which we rarely do - laughing and eating lobster and drinking beers and thinking that this is going to be an amazing summer. At least, that's what I was thinking. I don't know what the others were.

We'd gone for a drink with Pete and Charlotte after work.

I'd met Charlotte in line one late night a couple of summers ago. The line was one of three lines that I've ever waited in in my life for anything that doesn't end in -coaster, -wheel, -a-rama. I imagine if the guy I was with hadn't hit on a few ladies in front of us and they were at least accommodating and in the same boat and trying to also kill an hour then two years later I wouldn't be having a Goldrush while my wife had a Gimlet and Pete dealt with a strong Tennessee and Charlotte had a Mint Julep in a real Julep cup that was exploding with mint and making this whole night just feel right. That night I'd exchanged emails with Charlotte and her friend who'd shown up later had promoted The Station Myth - Daniel's band - so I was feeling rather connected to my new town and turned in Charlotte's resume at work and she got a job there the next year. And has held on despite all these recessionary waves.

It's funny to think of what twists and turns life holds. How someone can be a stranger, even if you've know of them for years and they you, if you've never been introduced and shaken hands. Or how someone can become a friend just because you shared breakfast once. I think of all the people who I've just happened to know by chance. How if not for this thing or that thing we'd not know each other and they'd be just a face in a crowd but how amazing is it when you see a face in that crowd that you recognize and it's color in the sea of black and white just because you are aware of each other and that's someone who is around to deal with this life and battle through the battles and whatever else.

It's so infrequent that we just go out on a Friday night and let the night take us where it may.

And they are so special when they start with let's go get a drink and then you end up, two drinks later, getting dinner, having a beer, then why let a good thing go to waste, hop in a cab and pay a super inflated rate, then pay a cover at a dance hall and having a couple'a more drinks and a dance or two and then we really have to get home.

On Saturday morning I was feeling about 78%. And I was glad I'd left that other twenty two with Charlotte and Pete and Marianna and a pint of Rogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment