Wednesday, June 10, 2009

No. 41


Beer: Negra Modelo
Date: June 8th, 2009

Place: Toth Brand Imaging, Cambridge, MA


It's been ages since I've been at work at a quarter of ten.

Four years ago, I was at work until that late or later five times a week, cranking out work and trying to make a name of myself and make my bosses look good and listening to pirated tracks and playing Foosball and drinking many beers and working out zero percent and expensing meals on the agency and trying to woo a young lady who at this point is all wooed out and sleeps in my bed every night.

Score one for the junior art director.

Mainly underpaid and mostly overworked, I liked being there in the midst of a lot of others who were trying to prove something and who were expensing meals too, which at that point was probably about 10% of our salaries, and forming the backbone of something that we believed in. Sadly enough, too, I saw a number of marriages fail because of too many hours on the clock and too few where it ultimately mattered.

Now I come in, mostly undistracted thanks to no instant chat, and work for the full nine hours I'm here. Having a beer at the office is the last thing I want to do. Especially one of one hundred.


The work life balance of 1 in 41 struck me as about right and the cerveza hit the spot and the lights were turned off and I was in my own world doing my own thing - sipping on a beer, the first solo beer I've had all year - was just what I needed on Monday night.

And sleep was what I needed on Tuesday morning.

Negra from Trimming Society on Vimeo.

1 comment:

  1. your second full sentence, the one that starts "Four years ago..." and ends with "...sleeps in my bed every night." ... I love it. I can't get over it. (I also can't get over ellipses it seems.) anyway, I like you guys

    ReplyDelete