Thursday, July 23, 2009

No. 49


Beer: Uncertain. Keg beer of some sort.
Date: July 18th, 2009

Place: Laucourt, East Limestone, AL

I reckon I got out at the right time.

I was class president for three years of high school. The last year, I flipped the script, went for student body president and won it by what I'd like to think what was a landslide but was probably an apathetic let's give it to him, he's prolly gonna win anyways.

You see, all I had to do as student body president was negotiate for us to get an exclusive contract from Coke vs. Pepsi, letting Coke win, and then I got to get a LED billboard that we could broadcast messages on alongside the highway: the temperature is so and so many degrees, dance on Friday, buckle up, woot, honk if you're happy, school's out for summer, who reads these things?, a cynic knows the cost of everything but the value of nothing, etc. etc. etc.

Nobody cared about that. Nobody remembers I was anything and nobody can judge my work. Because I was an eighteen year old who still couldn't buy cigarettes.

But if I were class president, well then, I'd have responsibilty come calling every ten years from now until eternity. And the judgement would be there every step of the way. Not that I was judging. I was quite thankful that I didn't have to do a thing save give someone twenty dollars.

However, if someone were to be judging, here are the facts:

Our reunion was in an Old Church of Christ fellowship hall, five miles from our town, in the county, someplace none of us had ever been, with drop ceilings, a too-loud DJ, a road name that took me a few minutes to place where it was, cheap beer, little wine, little to no ambience - what ambience was there was marked by the Ten Commandments on the wall and a baptism pool behind the too-loud DJ, which was over just as soon as the beer ran out, as ten years later there is still a good bit of anxiety, bitterness, jealousy, accents, judgement and a not good amount of alcohol.

The judgement (not judgement) will undoubtibly flare up again in 2019.

No comments:

Post a Comment