Thursday, July 23, 2009

No. 55 & 56


Beer: No. 55, De Ranke Noir De Dottignies; No. 56, Victory Prima Pilsner
Date: July 22nd, 2009

Place: The Brick Store, Decatur, GA


There was a time where people didn't use the internet.

It wasn't useful. It was there, sure, but there like benches are there along the side of a freeway. It serves a purpose but that purpose isn't fully realized until there is something else there. An ice cream stand, or another person with which to chat.

No children, we didn't use the internet in the year two thousand for much other than stealing intellectual property, searching for unclothed people, email.

If you wanted something, you had to search it out in other ways. Like message boards. The real kind. The kind with felt and thumbtacks and $7 an hour summer job listings and expired happenings that were only partially attended and those who came gave the event mixed reviews, but reviews that you'd have to seek out elsewhere, like at a party, because there wasn't user generated content or consumer reviews based on a five star system, and you'd have to be at that party, in order to have friends, and even more importantly to show you had friends because in the year two thousand there wasn't a Facebook and nobody knew who you knew or how many you knew and they only knew about you if you were there, in person.

There was a time before online identity.

I found an ad for a bicycle, and I drove to Tony's house to see the bicycle, for there was no viewing it online (there was even a time before digital cameras), and I had to actually listen to him give me directions, for Google Maps didn't exist, and then when I saw it and decided I wanted it and I had to give him money, cash, because PayPal wasn't very useful, and we ended up seeing each other around and we became friends (not virtually, but actually) and I don't know why we've kept in such good touch as we have but I guess because we kept in touch when it wasn't so easy and now we have the internet and ways to connect and I see his status daily when he is sitting in traffic and he sees mine when I'm at Fenway and we can be connected all the time and having a beer after four years of not seeing each other isn't quite so strange, anymore.

I had that bike for a couple of years. Once I was ready to move on, I sold it.

Through a paper flyer.


No comments:

Post a Comment