Saturday, August 8, 2009

No. 58 & 59



Beer: No. 58, Smuttynose Summer Weizen; No. 59, Innis and Gunn Oak Aged
Date: August 5th, 2009

Place: The backyard, Somerville, MA



I was planning on having beer 59.

Bought it a few weeks back. Knew the wife had book club and I'd have some bros over in the backyard and we'd drink beers and talk about nothing and enjoy the summer that took far to long to get here and will be gone far before we wish and one of my favorite things in the world behind Jesus, my wife, and honest employment is a beer with buddies so I knew that 59 would be good. I got something special that I've been wanting to try that is aged in old Scotch barrels and I'd suggest you give it a swig before you judge.

The thing was, I completely expected it to be beer number 58. And it was going to be, until a car pulled into the driveway.

It was my landlord, Liam. He lives upstairs with Pete and owns the whole house and has to be about the nicest damn landlord in all of Middlesex county. I'm sure if it was up to him we'd lose the lord and replace it with some other word probably of Irish lineage - as he is - that still implies that he's in charge, but comes off a little less insistful.

Liam, you want a beer? I have some extra in the fridge is what my mouth said before I could even think about it and within five minutes I'm sitting in the yard with the man who's mortgage I half pay and I'm pregameing my oak beer with a wheat beer.

In the yard. Feet up. Talking about the garden. The past month of searching for housing to no avail we'll be sticking around. Renovations. Jobs. KFC, but only after the guys who I was having beer 58 (now 59) showed up with boxes of chicken.

Liam scooted out early, but it totally makes sense.

He didn't want to lord over my beer, his yard, or our conversation.




No comments:

Post a Comment