Monday, October 19, 2009

No. 74 & 75 & 76



Beer: No. 74, Captain Lawrence Liquid Gold, No. 75, Unknown, No. 76, Lone Star
Date: October 17th, 2009
Place: No. 74, Fette Sau; No. 75, Spuyten Duyvil; No. 76, Unknown

This night was not about beer (thus the lack of proper notes or camera equipment).

It was about people.

I took the bus to New York City to have dinner and drinks with friends.

Taylor:
We met freshman year in the dorm, in Oxford, MS. We lived together sophomore year with Train. In a house called the Velvet Launchpad. It was great and it was drunken and it was fun and it was hard and tumultuous and we all were looking for ourselves and who were we and that made for friction and it made for growth and it made us grow closer in some respects and further apart in others.

I'd not seen Taylor in six years and it was amazing to sit with him and drink a beer and feel like whatever was in the past was in the past and we are both now different people, yet the same, but the things that bothered us before (money, girlfriends) have been taken cars of (jobs, wives) and that makes it easy to look past and to just spend time together and laugh and hope that it won't be another six years before we do it again.

Scott:
I met Scott one of the first days of my job in North Carolina. It took me no fewer than five weeks to remember his name. I kept describing him as the dude with blond hair. We flew up to New York to see Train a few years back. We drove up to Vermont and went snowboarding. Scott had never been to New York until then. He then said he was going to move up. I don't know if I believed him or not, but within a month he was gone. We still spend time together frequently, primarily when there is snow on the ground and boards in hand.

Daniel R & Daniel B:
It isn't fair to lump these guys together as if they are the same person. But I met them together, see them each time I visit the City together. They are roommates and bandmates and became fast friends when they met and they were in a band with Train when he lived up there. Daniel B and another Daniel (F) wanted to start a band and Daniel (Train) answered an ad and they were a threesome of Daniels, and they one night, at a bar, started talking to a nice fellow and when they found out his name was Daniel they asked him to join and then it was four Daniels in one band.

R & B are guys who in four years will be famous beyond belief and will be known not only for their celebrity but also their gentle spirits and their down-to-earthidness and I will, for the next twenty years, refer people to this blog to prove that I know them, that I count them among my friends, and their bigger than life personas will not overshawdow their sincerity and their drive.

They will start a chidrens home in India and teach music when they are not touring.

Charlotte:
I've already talked about how great Charlotte and how fortunate I am to know her. The newest development is that she moved from Boston to NYC and she came out to meet these guys who I care so much about.

I continue to wish her well and only now realize how much more I wish we would have spent time with her while she was in Boston.






UPDATE: The Lone Star was at the Levee, and the unknown beer was, indeed, Blur Point October Fest. Later corroboration with Daniel and Scott put the final pieces into the puzzle.

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure that unknown beer at Spyten Duyvil was a Blue Point Oktoberfest. It was definitely an Oktoberfest.

    Great group, great night. Next time we'll bring the posse up your way.

    ReplyDelete